Don’t Eat That! 6 Poisonous Plants to Avoid This Holiday SeasonDon’t Eat That! 6 Poisonous Plants to Avoid This Holiday Season https://frontlineerdallas.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Holiday-Season-1024x320.jpg 1024 320 admin admin https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/3c2803a16d8c10d0073b12d4d99c4f1d?s=96&d=mm&r=g
- no comments
The Holiday season is the time for the giving of plants and for the decorating with plants. It is important to know that some of the plants prevalent during the Holidays are poisonous and can cause health issues if ingested.
The doctors and the team of medical professionals at Frontline ER, a 24-hour emergency facility located near you in Dallas, want to educate the public on the reactions when the leaves and berries of common Holiday plants are swallowed or come in contact with the skin.
The myth surrounding poinsettias is the cause of severe harm, or even death. While this is a myth, the sap of the poinsettia will cause a rash should it come in contact with the skin. The itching will subside when the sap is washed off with soap and water and a cold compress is applied to the area.
If the leaves should be ingested, mild nausea or an upset stomach may occur. However, if one has an allergy to latex, then medical treatment is necessary at an emergency care center near you.
The berries and the leaves of mistletoe are poisonous. This “kissing” plant may cause nausea, blurred vision, diarrhea, abdominal pain and a change in blood pressure if eaten.
There may not be any symptoms if a child swallows one or two berries. However, just one berry can be dangerous to pets.
In an abundance of caution, a child should be taken to an emergency care clinic if any part of the mistletoe is ingested.
These berries are tempting to small children. Like the mistletoe, the symptoms are similar and the ingestion of one or two berries may not cause any harm. In an abundance of caution, a child should be taken to an emergency care clinic if just one berry is swallowed.
Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Sumac
All of these plants will cause a rash when in contact with the skin. The area of contact will be red and itchy with red lines or fluid-filled bumps. Hives are also a common reaction.
The treatment of any symptoms from these plants will depend on the body’s reaction after contact. Usually, over-the-counter antihistamines, calamine lotion and cold compresses will bring relief.
However, if a severe allergic reaction is experienced with the rash quickly spreading, then medical treatment is necessary at an emergency care center near you.
This plant is poisonous to both humans and animals. The ingestion of one leaf by a child can be fatal. The ingestion of one leaf by an adult will cause symptoms similar to those from swallowing mistletoe and holly berries.
If anyone should swallow just one oleander leaf, then this person should be immediately taken to an emergency care center for treatment. The poison is removed from the body by the intake of charcoal and pumping out the stomach contents.
Like oleander, this flowering plant is poisonous to humans and animals from the tips of the tiny bell-shared flowers to the dirt in which it is planted.
If anyone should swallow any part of a lily-of-the-valley, or should the plant’s dirt or water be ingested, then this person should be immediately taken to an emergency care center for treatment. The poison is removed from the body by the intake of charcoal and pumping out the stomach contents.
It is wise to keep alert of any symptoms experienced when coming in contact with any of the above-mentioned plants and, when necessary, seek emergency medical care.
The medical professionals at Frontline ER, a 24-hour emergency care facility in Dallas, are certified and trained for pediatric and adult emergency medical care resulting from poisonings, illnesses, accidents, workplace injuries and trauma. The professionals at Frontline ER know that, by educating the public on the basics of plant poisonings, appropriate medical decisions will be made.
- Posted In: