The first Saturday in May is always National Fitness Day. It is set aside to recognize the importance of physical fitness and how it can change lives. How can you get involved? Open an app, join a yoga class, go for a run, get on your bike. And maybe it’s time to start walking your dog regularly.
There are a number of apps available for iOS and Android including MyFitnessPal, Strava and Map My Run. They can do everything from track your miles and steps to help you log the calories you’ve burned (or taken in) along the way.
Your local bike shop can also help. If you aren’t in the market to buy a bike, either get your current one tuned up or consider a rental.
Whatever you do, do it. But you should also take care to avoid injury. Consider these tips:
- Always wear a helmet when riding a bike.
- Stretch and warm up before running or walking.
- Invest in the appropriately fitted shoes to avoid injury to your feet, ankles or knees.
- Start slow and work up to more strenuous activities.
- Take along a partner— they will help you be accountable and also be there should you fall or suffer an injury.
It is our top priority to ensure the safe and immediate treatment of your injuries, with the goal of getting you back on track faster to good health.
Frontline ER is an acute care emergency room providing healthcare services to the communities we live and work within. Give us a call or contact us through our website should you have more questions about our services.
*Photos courtesy of Paul E. Maynard