10 Tips for Vitamin D Deficiency
There are lots of essential nutrients and minerals our bodies need for the many vital processes that go on there, and vitamin D is definitely one of them. Vitamin plays a major role in a number of these many processes including building and maintaining strong bones, and that is why if a person has low vitamin D intake it is considered a major health concern. Vitamin D deficiency is actually quite common and it is a condition that afflicts an estimated 13% of the world’s population; which is by all accounts a sizeable percentage. Given vitamin D has been shown to play a role in preventing a illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and even depression, it is pretty clear that vitamin D is quite essential. If you are suffering from vitamin D deficiency, this article will look to highlight 10 tips that could come in handy in rectifying that and ensuring you increase your vitamin D intake levels.
- One of the tips that we have to mention when mentioning tips to help with your vitamin D deficiency is trying to ensure you spend enough time in sunlight. One can be able to get vitamin D just from spending time in the sunlight as our skin hosts a certain type of cholesterol which functions as a precursor to vitamin D and as such changes to vitamin D when exposed to the UV-B radiation of the sun. It is however important to protect you skin from over exposer which may lead to sunburns and even skin cancer.
- Another tip that can help you to overcome your vitamin D deficiency is introducing more mushrooms into your diet. Mushrooms are a great source of vitamin D since, as is explained in detail over at the excellent frontlineer.com, just like humans, they can make their own vitamin D through exposure to UV light from the sun. While mushrooms are a great source of vitamin D, one should take great care, especially when dealing with wild mushrooms, so as to steer clear of poisonous varieties of mushrooms.
- You should also consider adding more fatty fish and seafood into your diet if you have a vitamin D deficiency issue. This is because, these foods are a rich source of vitamin D, especially when you consider the ratio of the amount of vitamin D relative to a given size or amount of serving of fatty fish and seafood. They also come with additional benefits as they are also a great source of omeg-3 fatty acids which are great for the body, especially the heart.
- If you can’t get your hands on fresh fatty fish and seafood, then another tip to help you you’re your vitamin D deficiency is to eat more canned fish, especially canned tuna fish and canned sardines. Canned fish are also cheaper than fresh fish and can provide a cheaper option for folks with a vitamin D deficiency. Also, as per the gurus over at frontlineer.com, canned tuna fish have a longer shelf life which can allow one to stock up which is why they are a great source of vitamin D and definitely a great help for those with a vitamin D deficiency.
- Another tip to deal with a vitamin D deficiency is to include egg yolks into your diet. This is because egg yolks are a great source of vitamin D, especially from eggs that are pasture-raised or reared in free range. Eggs and egg yolks can be added to your popular breakfast, lunch or dinner and it is this versatility that makes them a great vitamin D source.
- If you have a vitamin D deficiency, then another tip is to ensure that you only consume fortified foods. This is because, as per the gurus over at frontlineer.com, very few foods naturally contain high levels of vitamin D, and other nutrients, and this is where fortification comes in. From milk, orange juice and even cereal and many others, when shopping for food items, always look for fortified food products.
- If you can’t get enough vitamin D through sunlight exposure, mostly due to way your leave, the another tip to deal with vitamin D deficiency is to make use of UV lamps that emits UV-B radiation. This lamps mimic the actions of the sun and as such they are a great substitute for when you can’t get enough sunlight. You should however ensure that you take great care when using these lamps as too much exposure could lead to bad consequences such as burns among others.
- Another great option for those with a vitamin D deficiency is to take vitamin D supplements which are yet another great source of vitamin D. It is however important to ensure you purchase high quality supplements that have been well tested, or better yet only purchase those prescribed by an experts, such as those over at frontlineer.com or your doctor. Getting a doctor’s prescription is also important as you will be given the right dosage according to your needs. There are also vegan options for vegans which you can ask for if you are so inclined.
- Other than supplements, you can try to take some cod liver oil if you have a vitamin D deficiency. Cod liver oil is nowadays not as bad-tasting as people think as most brands are flavored with citrus or mint, while there are those that come in capsule form and not syrup form. You should also be careful with the dosage when taking cod liver oil, especially when giving it to kids.
- Another tip is to try to add beef liver to your diet, which although doesn’t contain as much vitamin D as the other options in this list, it still can be of great help and also comes with other benefits such as being a great iron, protein and vitamin A source.
The above are some useful tips that should be of great help if you have a vitamin D deficiency, with there being more to be found on this and other related topics over at the ever reliable frontlineer.com